Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Wishing I Was More Like David

So I am doing a wonderful new Bible study: Anointed, Transformed, Redeemed. It's a study of King David and it's so good! It's Priscilla Shirer, Kay Arthur, and Beth Moore all in one study! I had never heard Priscilla speak before this study but she is passionate and really on-fire! (Is that enough exclamation points to let you know I am pumped?!)

In the first week of this study, we have seen various times where David asks the Lord what to do. Here are a few examples:
  • 2 Samuel 2:1 In the course of time, David inquired of the LORD. "Shall I go up to one of the towns of Judah?" he asked. The LORD said, "Go up." David asked, "Where shall I go?" "To Hebron," the LORD answered.
  • 2 Samuel 5:19 and 1 Chronicales 14:10 So David inquired of the LORD, "Shall I go and attack the Philistines? Will you hand them over to me?" The LORD answered him, "Go, for I will surely hand the Philistines over to you."
  • 1 Chronicles 14:13-16 Once more the Philistines raided the valley; so David inquired of God again, and God answered him, "Do not go straight up, but circle around them and attack them in front of the balsam trees. As soon as you hear the sound of marching in the tops of the balsam trees, move out to battle, because that will mean God has gone out in front of you to strike the Philistine army."

So I have two questions really weighing on my mind for the past two weeks. And I have really felt the Holy Spirit nudging me to ask and LISTEN. So I inquired of the Lord, "What shall I do regarding ******?"

Nada. Zip. Zilch.

"Okay Lord, I'm here and I want to hear you speak to me. There are two things I'm really wondering about God. What should I do about *****? And is ****** for me?"

I wish I were more like David. It's not like the Bible says, "David inquired of the Lord and three days later God said for him to go to Hebron." It's like David had immediate answers. (Yes, I know it doesn't actually say that but let's assume ok?) Sometimes I wish I could ask and He'd just answer.

Then I heard someone say (can't for the life of me remember where now, sorry for not giving credit appropriately) that the better I knew God, the better I'd hear him. It's like when the phone rings (Oh! It just came to me--Priscilla Shirer said this in the video session Sunday night.) and just from the tone of the ring you know it's your best girlfriend. She doesn't have to say, "Hey girl, it's Lisa." You just know. It's like that with God.

So maybe my problem is not that He isn't answering me right away but maybe that I'm not hearing Him. What if He's whispering the answer to me every time I ask but I'm not in tune enough with him to hear it?!

Jesus, I love you and I surrender all I am, all my time, all my money, all my talents, and all my possessions to You. Please send me a refreshing of the Holy Spirit so that I am in tune and can hear Your voice. Jesus, give me that kind of hunger people talk about when they just can't get enough of You and Your word. The more I know You, the bettter I'll hear You. Bring it on Lord cause that's what I want today.

No comments:

Post a Comment